I’m often asked for tips to help with the job hunt during COVID-19.
Here a summary:
- The hiring process takes much longer than usual. Be patient.
- Expect to apply for 10 times the number of jobs that you had planned to before Covid-19. I’m gonna call it out, lots of firms have job adverts they paid for pre-Covid, posted for pipelining purposes.
- Set aside time each day to search and apply for jobs. It’s a job in itself.
- Use your network, it’s gold.
- Your online profile has to look slick. So many people forget that.
- Block your FB and Insta pages, nobody needs to see your evening antics.
- If you are open to temporary work then make that clear.
- Tailor your CV to the job you’re applying, as much as possible.
- Set job alerts with online search engines. It’s easy.
- Practice a virtual interview before one happens.
- Tell people what your USP is. Practice that, over and over again.
Pretty much all interviews, especially first stage are on video, be prepared:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Dress professionally.
- Be sure the background isn't messy.
- Check the tech ahead of time, including sound and video.
- Get away from distractions, including pets and kids.
Tell us what you know about our company
I want to share with you some feedback on how a recent candidate aced the question 'tell us what you know about our company?'.To give some context, he was interviewing for a marketing manager position for a construction firm.This is how he prepare...More info